If we get the recommended 8 hours sleep a night, we will spend approximately a third of our lives in bed. As the quality of our sleep affects the way we feel day to day – from our posture to our over-all energy - it’s important to spend time finding the right mattress
On average, The Sleep Council recommends that your mattress should be replaced every 7-8 years. Common indicators that it’s time to review your sleep patterns might be…
…you wake up with back or neck pain regularly.
…you can you feel springs or ridges in the top of the mattress when lying down.
…your mattress seems to creak or crunch when you move.
…you and your partner roll towards each other while sleeping, unintentionally.
…you can see that the bed base is uneven or sagging.
Comfort is subjective – you might have a particular type of mattress in mind, but the only way to find out if it’s a good fit is to try it out first. When shopping for mattresses, follow these golden rules:
Do spend 10-15 minutes lying on the mattress you are looking to buy.
Do test mattresses at the same time as your partner – you both have to be comfortable on the same style mattress and base.
Do allow for the mattress to be 10cm longer than the tallest person sleeping in it, and wide enough to sleep side by side without touching.
Do try lying in different positions – you move 40-60 times a night, so you don’t want your mattress to interrupt your sleep.
Do test how the mattress supports the spine: lie face up, place your hand under the small of your back.
•A tight fit means the mattress is too soft.
•A loose fit and the mattress is too firm.
•A snug fit means the support is right and your spine is aligned correctly.
Do remember that the mattress feels different depending on the bed base it’s on eg a pocket-sprung divan base will feel softer than a slatted base on a bed frame.
Now you know what you’re looking for, what are the types of mattresses available to you? Heal’s started as a mattress-making company
more than 200 years ago – we know quality, and only sell mattress styles that meet our very high standards.
Individual springs are housed in separate calico pockets, and shape to the body to respond to (and support) each sleeper’s individual weight. This means less sleep disturbance as the movement of the mattress itself is reduced.
• You don’t need excessively high spring counts; anywhere between 1000 and 2000 pockets springs is ideal and, when layered with the best natural fillings available, more beneficial for you than an over-sprung mattress too.
• Our pocket-sprung mattresses are available in three tensions, soft, medium and firm. This refers to the thickness of the wire used to spring the mattress – the thicker the wire, the firmer the feel.
• A Heal's mattress is developed to provide the optimum support at medium tension, but what feels medium to one person may feel firm to someone else.
• Heal’s pocket-sprung mattresses are filled with natural materials, such as pure wool and silk, for extra comfort and the best rest possible.
Tempurvisco-elastic mattresses react to your body heat and conform to the shape of your body. Cushioning and supporting you in your most relaxed sleeping position, they offer a sense of weightlessness and a great night’s sleep.
• These mattresses are hypo-allergenic with anti-microbial properties.
• Because they mould around the body, hot sleepers can find memory foam too warm, so do consider this when you’re buying… Try a wool duvet and mattress topper to regulate your heat.
Our mattress ranges cover all the bases (no pun intended). Find a great night’s sleep among these collections:
Useful, beautiful, affordable
: Designed for durability and comfort – think plenty of pocket springs and traditional hand side stitching – there’s nothing everyday about these mattresses.
Quality at the Core
: Handmade in the UK by skilled craftsmen, and packed with rich natural materials, these mattresses offer pure quality from the inside out.
Best in the World
: Layers of superior fillings and over 200 years of mattress-making expertise meet in our collection of Vi-Spring
and Heritage beds, which offer a lifetime of the very best rest.
: Tempur mattresses conform to the shape of your body, cushioning and supporting you in your most relaxed sleeping position.